Sunday, September 26, 2010

Oklahoma is OK


We got back on the right track today in Joplin Missouri.

We didn't have to go very far before we entered Kansas. I've never been to Kansas before. My first time.

We thought this road in Kansas was a bad one. We ain't seen nothng yet. There's a couple of REALLY bad roads yet to come.




There is only 13 miles of Route 66 in Kansas. It cuts the corner.



Galena, Kansas appears to be rather desolate. (This is a shot straight down the main street. I have several individual shots of the buildings.) However, there are several interesting buildings and storefronts.



At Riverton, Ks., there was this bridge. It is the last of three bridges that still remain on Route 66 designed by a man named Marsh . "Progress" claimed the other two bridges.




Right before you reach the Oklahoma state line, you go through Baxter Springs. So many interesting Route 66 landmarks are in this town. Not enough room to put them here.







Right after you enter Oklahoma, you pass through Commerce - birthplace of Micky Mantle. They named a street after him.








Next is Miami, Ok. Who knew? A good sized town actually.






Upon leaving Miami, my guide book says "South from Miami, remnants of the famous 9-foot Hwy (AKA: Sidewalk Hwy, Ribbon Rd) zigzag toward Afton." That was beautifully understated. The road was paved in 1922, "complete with curbs and concrete base and an asphalt road surface." This picture shows what the road looks like. Actually this picture probably shows the very best section of the road. We went about 3 miles on the road. Probably took us 15-20 minutes. I felt very legit, like we had comquered Mount Everest or something equally as significant.





Following the 9-foot Hwy. was a town called Vinita. And then White Oak. This is pretty much all there was of White Oak.





Probably the most famous Route 66 roadside attraction still in existance. The Blue Whale .




I guess I reached the limit of the number of pictures that could be added to one entry because I tried to add a couple more before I got to this one but without success. We ate at the Rock Cafe. This restaurant was featured on Diner's, Drive Ins and Dives on the Food Network. A must if you're travelling the road. Great food.







When we got to Oklahoma City, we visited the Memorial for the Murrah Building bombing. It was fascinating and beautiful. So much symbolism. It truly honored those who lost their lives that day.

3 comments:

  1. Contralto:),

    I'm really enjoying reading about your trip. Sounds like you're having a great time. Look forward to hearing more!

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondered about you Saturday if you drove and listened to the game or stopped the Grand Tour and watched it somewhere. Dana clued me in!! :) Missed seeing you in the choir today, and Sparky in the booth, but soooo happy you are on the road. Keep updating, and eat some pie for me today. Tell me what kind you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving tour blog and pics! Keep 'em coming! I'm taking this trip vicariously through you! I would love to do this! Maybe someday...have fun!
    Love y'all!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete