Saturday, September 25, 2010

Show Me Missouri



I was unable to update the blog for a couple of reasons last night, mostly because of exhaustion. But a day late is still not too late. The other reason is wireless problems. Not able to get my laptop hooked up to the wireless. Therefore, I am updating on my sister's computer. This will be a blog with no pictures. I will add pictures later when I get back on my own computer. (pictures added) :-)

The day started rainy and cold. That means NO TOP DOWN. But the adventurous spirit is not easily deterred. So we set out from St. Louis heading SW across the state.


It did not take us very long on the road to figure out an interesting fact about Route 66. I knew just from looking at the map that Route 66 is the access or service road to the Interstate, Interstate 44 in Missouri and then it will Interstate 40 the rest of the way. What I did not know is that the Route meanders all around the interstate from one side to the other. You will drive for a while on the right side of the interstate and then you will cross over to the other side and drive for a while. Some of the pictures (that I will post later) show the interstate running right next to the Route. But there are times when you drive away from the interstate and go through small towns and farm communities and that's what it's all about.

We saw so many unique things today. Signs for unusual museums, murals on the sides of buildings in small towns, water towers, cool neon sign etc. We stopped at the largest rocking chair in the world. It is HUGE. We got a picture and there were several people waiting to get pictures by the rocking chair also. Right next to the giant rocking chair is a Route 66 gift shop. They have everything you can image about Route 66. Which came first? The chair or the shop? I think the chair is there so people will stop at the shop. We did! And I bought a Christmas ornament, so there you good. Pretty good marketing.

Our final destination today was my sister's house. She lives in Rogers Arkansas and we came here to spend a couple of nights. Saturday is the Alabama/Arkansas game and we are here for the game. My sister has tickets for the skybox so we are going to watch the game in style---in Fayetteville Arkansas---in our Bama gear. Fun fun.

The best thing about yesterday was last night. My sister had told us that they were going to take us out to dinner. Actually, she and her best friend Kathy Mann had planned a 25th Anniversary dinner for us at Kathy's house. Filet Mignon, wonderful strawberry pecan salad, homemade coconut cream pie for dessert. We felt very special and humbled. A great time with friends. Many thanks to Kathy and Joe. We were honored.

Saturday we plan to have a little pork on our fork. Love me some barbecued hog. ROLL TIDE!

No comments:

Post a Comment